Friday 2 September 2011

Teaching from the Heart

I have always believed in the importance of doing what you believe in. Hence I have always been the strict and "no-nonsense" teacher in the eyes of my kids (pupils). I can be fun but they know that if they do not complete my homework and prepare for my tests, they will have to face my wrath.


It is heartening that after graduating, my kids will visit me and update me on their lives. Yesterday was no exception. As I have left the education service, some of them arranged to meet up with me near the school or at Jurong Point. 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted my reflection after meeting up with my ex-pupils on Facebook. Here's the message.


Was really touched by all my lovely ex-pupils who met up with me or sent me an sms today even though I had left Rulang. When I see all my "kids" in Poly, JC2 or in secondary school, I really feel OLD. Many of my "kids" even waited for me patiently near the school or at Jurong Point as I was talking to the different batches. Sorry to keep you waiting and sorry for not being able to spend more time with you. I did not manage to spend much time chatting with all of you. Do keep in contact via sms, email (still the same email: venus_in_sg@yahoo.com.sg) or Facebook. Thank you, folks! I will remember the times I spent "torturing" you with PSP (for earlier batches) and my much-hated tests (for my recent batches). I am really thankful that most of you understand why I conducted those "torture" sessions. What some of you wrote in your card or what you told me reaffirmed what I believe in: Teach from the heart and your "kids" will understand why you do what you are doing one day... Thanks, everyone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After that, I read an article about teaching from the heart. I quote a sentence that I find very true during the years of teaching:

"Small wonder, then, that teaching tugs at the heart, opens the heart, even breaks the heart–and the more one loves teaching, the more heartbreaking it can be."

When pupils do not meet our expectations in terms of their attitude or behaviour, it can be heartbreaking.  This can affect our morale too. However, we must continue to believe in what we do and teach from the heart.

~ Serena's Greenhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment