Saturday 8 October 2011

Children's Day

Yesterday was Children's Day. I shared with my kiddos the following quote by John Wooden. 




John Wooden was the most successful basketball coach in the United States of all time. His success philosophy is detailed in his famous "Pyramid of Success". However, the one that stands out most is the advice given to him by his father when he was a little boy - "Make each day your masterpiece."


Why did I share this quote with my kiddos? I hope that they will understand that we cannot change the past. Although we can learn from our mistakes in the past, we should focus on doing our best each day. Are we living each day as though it is an important championship game? Or are we living each day as though it is only a practice for some game in the future? Would we be proud to reflect at the end of each day that we have done our best that day? Would we be guilty and realise that we have wasted a lot of time or we could have better in many areas when we reflect at the end of each day?


Here are some tips that can help everyone of us to create our daily masterpiece:
(1) At the beginning of each day, ask ourselves: What is the most important thing that I can do today to make my life a masterpiece? What are some things that I can do today to make my life a masterpiece? Focus on that single thing or those things that you need to do.


(2) At the end of the day, set aside some time to reflect: Did I do my best today? What did I do right? What did not work? Give yourself a pat on what you did well. Think through what you could have done to improve on what went wrong for the day. 


I hope that all of us remember that we can control the outcomes of the day most of the time. Make each day your masterpiece!



~ Teacher Serena


No comments:

Post a Comment