Tuesday 31 July 2012

Verify the Claims of Tuition Centres and Tutors

Two days ago, there was an article in the Sunday Times on a tutor whose claims to be a GEP pupil and GEP teacher had been refuted by MOE. After this article was published, a few of my friends who are already mummies and I had a conversation during a lunch gathering yesterday. My friends were appalled by the tutor's actions.

My advice to them and other parents: Feel free to ask to view the educational certificates to verify the tutor's claims. If the tutor claims that he or she is from a particular branded school, you can check the school's website or ask for other evidence. If there is nothing to hide, the tutors should not feel offended. I think it is in the interest of the parents to verify the claims of the tuition centres and tutors. Be a little more cautious when you read testimonials that have been typed out by the centres themselves on their websites. As mentioned in the Sunday Times article, a parent told the tutor to remove a testimonial that was not written by her child.

Some of my tutees shared with me interesting "anecdotes" of their past experiences with the tutors or tuition centres that they had been with previously. I will not repeat what I had heard here as it will not be professional to do so.

However, I hope that in time to come, there will be a shake up of the tuition industry. It has happened in the real estate industry. Let's hope it will happen in the tuition industry. Otherwise, there will be a few black sheep who will tarnish the image of the industry. It's not fair for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment