Thursday 9 August 2012

Verifying rumours

Yesterday, a few family members and friends told me, at different times of the day, a rumour that they had heard. A famous and well-respected politician was critically ill or had passed away and the news was kept under wraps as National Day was round the corner. Some of my friends told me that the rumours seemed true as many people were talking about it even on Facebook and other social media.

I was doubtful about the reliability of the rumours. However, I was greatly relieved when I saw the politician at the NDP parade.

A few of my tuition kids also told me this morning that they had heard about the rumour via Facebook or from their family members and friends. I told the kids that they should not believe in rumours that have not been verified.

From this incident, we could see how potent social media is when it comes to the dissemination of official or unverified news. When enough people talk about it, what is not true will seem true. This incident is a good opportunity for parents to talk about the importance of verifying rumours.

Questions that we can discuss with the kids:
- Should we believe in rumours?
- What are some consequences of believing in unverified rumours?

No comments:

Post a Comment