Friday 7 September 2012

What is the best gift for teachers?

What is the best gift for teachers? I read an article on the best gift to give to teachers on Teachers' Day and this prompted me to write this blog post.

The best gifts I have received do not cost anything. They are the happiness, satisfaction and pride that I have when I see the faces of my pupils light up with smiles as they proudly share with me their progress in their learning journeys.

I have shared in a blog post a few months ago the transformation I saw in a graduating class who managed to overcome their phobia and dislike for Math. I would always remember how moved I was when the class shared with me how they managed to overcome their phobia and dislike for Math.

Whenever the kids share with me how they have changed for the better or how I have influenced them to modify some of their actions or behaviour, I find myself smiling. Yes, these gifts are priceless. These gifts keep me going as I hope to touch the lives of my young charges, like the way some of my teachers have touched mine.

Yesterday, one of my Primary 6 tutees, Z, made a trip to the learning centre to show me all her Prelim papers and to pass me a handmade Teachers' Day card. She has done very well for all her subjects. She shared with me happily that she topped the level for English and scored 38 marks for her composition. I am very happy for her as I have seen her grow and blossom. She has put in a lot of effort during these two years, compiling phrases from story books and learning the phrases that I taught the class. She always goes the extra mile to revise thoroughly what has been taught in class, be it synthesis, Oral and others. Z shared with me that she was inspired to do well after attending my lessons. Here are her thoughts and reflections of her learning journey with me.

I read and re-read her card. I am really happy to have touched Z's life.

The joy in teaching is derived not only from helping high ability students realise their full potential but also in inspiring weaker pupils to do better.

One week ago, a P6 girl who is in my average ability Science class, M, showed me her Science Prelim Paper. She asked me if I was happy with her score of 58 marks. M used to fail her Science examinations in P5. I asked her, "How did you feel about your score? I'm happy for you as you have shown an improvement." I will always remember the glow on her face when I acknowledged her effort. M was struggling for the first part of the year and she lacked confidence. I was harsh towards her when I realised that she did not revise certain concepts. However, as the months passed, I could see her putting in more effort. I was happy for her when she showed an improvement in the last few class tests. She smiled shyly when I praised her.

Last Friday, many of my ex-pupils visited me at my learning centre. Some of them reminisced about the "torturous" Quick Write tests that I used to administer to gear them up for the PSLE. One pupil shared with me that because I believed that they could learn to write well and hence shared with them many writing techniques, he managed to improve in his writing. At the end of the year with me, he re-read the first composition he had written as a test (I always did this to let the pupils see for themselves their progress during the year) and realised that he had come a long way.

On the same day, I was moved when I read a card from an ex-pupil, L. L had made the card herself. As I read what L had written, I reminisced about the past. L did not have a lot of confidence at the beginning of the year. However, she had excellent attitude and was diligent. I encouraged her and told her to believe in herself. I was brimming with pride after reading a story written by her in a Composition class test in late August. L had managed to use many of the writing techniques that I taught the class. She adapted a story that I taught the class and wrote her own touching story about how the relationship between a grandchild and his grandmother changed after an incident. After reading the card written by L, I was happy for her. She had grown and blossomed to be more mature and confident.


Some of my friends asked me before why I continued to be a tutor after I left the service. My answer, "I love teaching." Teaching is not only about imparting knowledge to your charges. It is about influencing the children and inspiring them to believe in themselves and to have the right attitude and character. It is also about influencing them and inspiring them to do their best. I always keep the notes, cards, letters, smses and emails that pupils gave or sent me to update me on their progress. The satisfaction and happiness that a teacher gets when his or her young charges make progress is priceless.



No comments:

Post a Comment