Tuesday 27 August 2013

Tutors = Service Providers or Educators?

Yesterday, I received an SMS from a parent of an ex-tutee. The parent was planning a gathering for me and the 2013 batch of P6 tutees. I was really touched by her gesture.

I recalled hearing comments from friends or others who are conducting private tuition that at times, parents treat tutors as mere service providers and do not respect them. Some of their tutees are also rude to them.

I am very blessed that I have met supportive and understanding parents so far. Most of the tutees are also respectful. If the tutee is rude to me or any of the tutors at the centre, I have a clause in the terms and conditions that gives me the liberty to tell them to withdraw. To me, a child's attitude is even more important than his or her aptitude.

Over the years, I think that my positive experiences with parents, pupils and tutees have reaffirmed my belief that when you teach from your heart and teach with your heart, most parents and kids will be able to feel it and appreciate it.

I see myself as an educator, not a mere service provider. Yes, as my ex-principal pointed out when I left MOE, the sphere of influence as a tutor is smaller than as a teacher or subject head in school. However, I do feel a sense of satisfaction when I see the look of "enlightenment" when I go through certain concepts that the kids find tough. I feel an even greater sense of achievement when some of the kids are inspired to write, read more story books and be more self-directed in learning so as to scale greater heights.

1 comment:

  1. SAT wrong answers penalty is very heavy and students should very careful in first attempting. You don’t guess blindly in SAT MATH section. Because this is very private math tutor critical portion should solve very carefully. How we can prevent during SAT from blind guses.

    ReplyDelete