Tuesday 11 October 2016

2016 PSLE Question on Interdependence / Symbiotic Relationship

On 25 July 2011, I wrote a blog entry on interdependence among organisms.
http://serenagreenhouse.blogspot.sg/2011/07/interdependence-among-organisms.html

When I go through some examples of interdependence or symbiotic relationships among organisms with my tutees each year, many of them will tell me that they have not come across the examples I shared with them in school.  Some will even ask me if these concepts will be tested at all in the PSLE.

I will always explain to them that interdependence among organisms is within the syllabus hence SEAB can actually set a PSLE question on interdependence with a context given. I always believe that if a context is given, pupils can be tested on examples that they have not come across. Hence it is important to READ WIDELY. Parents should encourage their kids to read Young Scientist magazines and watch National Geographic channel. The kiddos' learning SHOULD NOT be restricted to only the facts and examples in the school textbooks. As an ex-teacher and a current tutor, I know that pupils may not have enough exposure to real-life examples. Hence I will always make it a point to share with them these real-life examples.

I was glad that some of my tutees shared with me that in the 2016 Science PSLE, they were tested on a question that has similar concepts to this example that I shared with them during one of my lessons:






No comments:

Post a Comment