Friday 17 February 2012

Eight Secrets of Success


Was talking to two ex-colleagues recently on how we, parents and educators, can instill the champion mindset in our kids. When I mention "champion mindset, I do not mean that the kiddos have to top their class or school. What I mean is to be the best that they can. What I mean is to help them succeed in life. What type of qualities do the kiddos need to achieve this goal?

Came across a video on my friend's FB and thought that it is still very relevant although the speaker mentioned the eight secrets of success 6 years ago. He summed it very neatly using eight words within three minutes. Cool! Would like to share this video with all my kiddos and all parents.

I really see the close correlation between these eight principles and successful kids and people whom I know. I will share my thoughts on a few of the principles.
(1) Passion
I think it is important to have a passion for what we are doing, be it in school or at work. The greatest teachers who touched my lives were those who were passionate in their job. The greatest kids whom I had come across were passionate in learning or in their interests or CCAs.

As educators and parents, I think it is important that we instill a passion for learning and a passion for life in general when the kids are young. For example, how do we cultivate the love for reading? We can read aloud to the kiddos when they are young. We can inject fun into reading via role-play. We should not just associate reading with reading for examination success. Reading opens the kids' minds to things and phenomena around them. Encourage them to ask questions and be inquisitive.

(2) Work
In my opinion, it is important for kids to realise that nothing comes easily. All of us have to work HARD to achieve our goals and realise our dream.

(3) Focus
Can we create an environment what will not distract our kiddos? Can we reiterate to our kids the importance of staying focused?
Do we allow them to watch cartoons when they are doing their penmanship exercise or other assignments? We should also remind the kids not to be distracted by others, particularly the naysayers.

(4) Persist
Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Watch the video on Derek Redmond with your child. Engage your child in a conversation after watching the video. What is his reaction after watching the video? Did anything strike him? What has he learnt from the video?

2 comments: