Friday 4 May 2012

Q&A on Cumulative Review


Thank you for your interest in adopting cumulative review. Here are some questions posed by parents. 

I cannot explain those problematic questions to my child. What can be done? 

Get your child to approach the school teacher or tuition teacher after lessons to explain those concepts again. Trust me, as educators, we are more than happy when our pupils are so involved in their learning and want their misconceptions clarified. It sure beats forcing unwilling learners to stay back for remedial lessons!

Do we have to copy the questions down?

Yes, we know that time is limited especially with all the homework and extra classes that some of our children are having. I told my ex-pupils that they can write down the question numbers that they need to review on the first page of the revision papers. Then they just cover up the previous work and re-do on other sheets of paper in the cumulative review sessions. 

However, with technology, I do suggest that these questions can be typed out so that they may be re-printed in the next cumulative review sessions. Moreover, parents can also just change the names and objects involved to create a new question. I have used this method in my classes to show the pupils that they are still getting the same questions wrong simply because they have not understood and internalized the concepts. So don’t be surprised that with just some minor changes, your child is still unable to do those problematic questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment